Tuesday, January 22, 2008

Beer: This n' That

Hopslam: It's available in Indy and the price of a 6-pack varies from $14 (Hop Shop, or $50/case (thanks Jason) ) to $15 (Crown Liquor) to $15.50 (Kahn's). If you're looking for it on tap around Indy, World Class Beverages' search engine says it should be available at BadaBoomz in downtown, Hot Shotz on the NE side, and the Corner Wine Bar in Broad Ripple (yeah, I'm scratching my head on that one too). You can find it in bottles at Bazbeaux in downtown and Chumley's in Broad Ripple. Also, check out Matt's review.

Expansions: Indiana Beer reports (Jan. 15) that Brugge Brasserie in Broad Ripple will be expanding into the upstairs space formerly occupied by Net Heads, a computer gaming cafe (Net Heads is moving to Carmel). New Albanian Brewing Company reports that they are exploring the possibility of expanding their brewing and restaurant operations in New Albany (h/t Hoosier Beer Geek).

Indy Pub Crawl: I first heard about the Indy pub crawl last summer but couldn't make it. I swore I was going to try to go on the winter crawl but apparently it came and went this past Saturday before I even knew it. I swear I'm going to try to go on the summer crawl!

Consumption: This weekend my wife and I opened the bottle of Jolly Pumpkin Calabaza Blanca that we brought back from Christmas in Rochester. YUCK! It was unexpectedly tart, very citrusy and tough to get down. I don't have too much experience with Belgian white ales but this seemed pretty out-of-character to me. It may have been better if we had known how tart it was and had an appropriate food pairing for it. Luckily my beer evening was saved by a Brooklyn Black Chocolate Stout with some dark chocolate. I love that pairing!

This is the first Jolly Pumpkin beer I've tried and from the look of their beer ratings, I definitely shouldn't give up on them. Does anybody have a recommendation for one to try next?

2 comments:

Kelly said...

we just got back from a trip to Jungle Jims, where we picked up the Jolly Pumpkin Bam Noire (http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/9897/38459).

I LOVED it. Matt, not so much. Funky, tart and crisp with just enough sweetness to keep me interested.

CorrND said...

Thanks for the tip Kelly! One of these days I'll get over to Jungle Jim's to see their selection. Or maybe on my next trip back to Rochester.

I was just looking through Kahn's online list of beers and they carry two Jolly Pumpkin beers. Unfortunately, one is the Calabaza Blanca! But they carry another one called Oro De Calabaza. I think I'll give 'er a shot.

http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/9897/18975